One of the ways that the Downtown Development Authority supports small business in the district is through the use of Façade Grants. The purpose of the Commercial Façade Rehabilitation Program is to provide financial assistance to property and/or business owners with the renovation of commercial buildings and structures within the City of Flat Rock Downtown Development Authority (DDA) district.
The goal of is to facilitate commercial revitalization; stimulate private investment; to preserve and beautify the commercial areas; to upgrade the physical image of the Downtown district. To be eligible for the Program, the property to be rehabilitated must be located within the Downtown Development Authority district. Buildings and structures eligible for rehabilitation under this Program must be commercially zoned and developed for uses permitted by the Zoning Ordinance.
Some of the general rules are;
- Improvements to be funded by grant or loan must be located on an exterior wall of the building.
- All proposed improvements must be approved before the work is commenced.
- Applications shall be reviewed by a committee composed of the Economic Development Director and Director of Building and Safety then the recommendation will be forwarded to the DDA for review and action.
Improvements eligible for funding under the program are those listed below:
- New windows and
- Decorative lighting
- Structural and surface repair of exterior walls and overhangs.
- Renovation/replacement of exterior devises and lighting
- Landscaping (e.g., trees, bushes, planter boxes/pots, enhanced paving) when integral to the improved façade treatment of the
- Fencing used to enclose outdoor dining areas (not located within public right-of-way).
- Screening of mechanical equipment visible from the street or parking lot.
- Screening of dumpsters.
- New signs or the rehabilitation of signs.
- Parking lot repair or development as an integral part of a larger project.
This information is NOT complete. To acquire the entire program guidelines including the district map CLICK HERE.