The Detroit Institute of Arts Inside|Out program brings 80 reproductions of masterpieces from the Detroit Institute of Art (DIA) museum’s collection to the streets and parks of greater metro Detroit, pleasantly surprising and delighting residents of the participating communities and engaging them in dialogue about art.
Inspired by an outdoor exhibition during a visit to London in 2007, the director of the DIA saw how art could serve as a catalyst for public dialogue and shared cultural experiences. The first Inside|Out exhibition was included as part of the DIA’s 125th anniversary in 2010, and the program has grown to become the cornerstone of the museum’s community outreach and is a highly anticipated event for the public. The DIA offers free museum admission to residents of participating communities encouraging the public to come to the DIA to experience the works of art in person.
- The DIA is partnering with the Huron River Watershed Council to host an Inside|Out exhibition in the five Huron River Trail Towns, an initiative to help develop an arts and culture component on the Huron riverfront. 15 reproductions of masterpieces from the Detroit Institute of Art (DIA) museum’s collection will be installed on July 29th along the Huron River
- As a Huron River Trail Town, Flat Rock is one of 5 communities along the Huron River participating in the Inside Out program
- More detailed information can be found at www.huronriverwatertrail.org which lists all of the 5 town locations and events being held during the next three months
- The community is invited to an opening evening Ice Cream Social & reception at 5:30 PM on Wednesday, July 29 at the site of one of the installations, Simpler Times Downtown General Store located at 26314 E Huron River Drive in Flat Rock (just east of Telegraph Road) 734-790-2070
- Other Activities in Flat Rock during the 3 Month exhibit include a Wine & Canvas event hosted by Salutes Restaurant on October 3rd and a performance by Jazzistry, an interactive multimedia jazz history presentation, in September
SHOP LOCAL – SHOP FLAT ROCK